How do I get out of Employment Contract for moving expense?

I took a transfer within my company and moved from New York to Tennessee. They paid for my moving and made me sign that if I move within a year I will have to repay the money. It`s been 6 months, and this dept. I moved to gives me the creeps. No potential, no Bonus, no real business. How can I get out of the contract so I won`t have to repay the money. I am already getting VERY good offers from other jobs. Please help..

Related Blogs

Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “How do I get out of Employment Contract for moving expense?”

  1. Time-on-My-Hands Says:

    You are from New York and its Tennessee, of course its creepy… its the south honey.

    A contract has binders in it… creepy does not dissolve the agreement. Go back, re-read with an attorney, make an assessment of the "real" cost, and by the way… make sure those new super offers aren’t actually creepy too.

  2. Blue Note Says:

    Get a Lawyer

  3. jd Says:

    If the next offer is worthwhile, just pay the penalty. If not, just sit tight for six more months. You are already halfway there!

  4. Leogirl0804 Says:

    Unless they terminate the contract with you I see no other recourse. As far as they are concerned, they kept their end of the bargain. Was there anything in the contract that stated that if the new place was "Creepy" then the agreement was null and void? Go ahead and leave if that’s what you want to do, more than likely they won’t come after you. Who knows, your superiors may think you are the creepy one. Just understand that the Karma you send out is the Karma you get back.

  5. sweetsinglemom Says:

    You can get out of a contract, but have to have a better reason than "creepy". If they promised you specific things in the job that are non-existant now that you’re there, they have not fulfilled their part of the bargain. You should consult an employment attorney and bring to the lawyer a copy of your employment contract. You should be prepared to tell him/her where the contract provides something that you did not receive. For example, if the contract provides for specific benefits and there are none, that is a breach on the employer’s side. If they have significantly breached the employment contract, you may be able to void out the repayment part of your contract. Again, you will need to consult or hire an employment attorney.