Employment Law – Pay and the Law

I found this article relating to Employment Law which I thought may be of interest. So here it is for you

At the signing of a employment contract, an employee should have stated how much they will be paid and how often. Employees are entitled to receive written pay statements from your employer when you are paid. When you begin working for an employer, your employer should notify you when the day or date that you will be paid and the method in which you will be paid, such as in cash, direct debit, or by cheque. Employees must be given a written document stating exactly how much they will be paid, and when, this should be given to them within the first 2 months of starting work.

You may not always be entitled to a payslip, such as; if you are not an employee and are a contractor, freelancer or worker; working for the police service; or a merchant seaman, master or crew member working in share fishing and paid by a share in the profits or gross earnings of the fishing vessel you work on.


If you do not come under the excluded groups of those not entitled to a payslip, then you can ask your employer for one. Payslips must contain, the amount of your wages before any deductions are made; the amounts of any fixed deductions or total amount of deductions if given a ‘standing statement of fixed deductions; amount of any variable deductions; net amount of wages after deductions; and the amount and method for any part-payment of wages. The employer could also include the follwoing on your payslip; national insurance number, tax codes, pay rate and payments like overtime, tips, and bonuses.

If an employer fails to write out the fixed deductions on the pay statement, they must give the employee a standing statement of the fixed deductions. This statement must be made in writing, state the amount and intervals at which the deduction is made, contain the purpose and description of the deduction, given to you before your first payslip with fixed deductions and be updated every 12 months at the minimum. If there are meant to be any amendments made that could affect the fixed deductions on your pay slip, the employee must have written notice from the employer of the change or given an amended statement.

Employees are entitled to bring about any grievances they may have, including any discrepancies with their pay cheque. The best procedure to follow is to speak to your employer to see if the problem can be resolved informally. If you have a representative or are a member of a trade union, you could ask for assistance in this matter. If this does not work, then the application can be made to an Employment Tribunal.


I am a legal writer covering advice on topics of law including pay, for further text and similar works visit employment law or contact a solicitor today.For more legal advice and information, and for free legal resources I suggest you visit lawontheweb.co.uk.
Article Source

Comments are closed.